SuperFetch is a utility that allows you to make the programs you often use more responsive and fast. This article will consider what is Superfetch, its main features, and explore how to use it effectively.
Basic Superfetch service settings
Dozens of processes can run simultaneously when using a PC in the operating system. Some of them have high humidity, others – we do not need much, but they consume computer resources. As a result, there are “braking”.
After a while, the performance of the computer decreases sharply, and the user begins to look for the problem in a completely different place where it might be. It cleans up computer junk, removes hidden processes, and even changes its hardware, but the problem remains in the same place. The fact is that Windows 10 has a special service called SuperFetch that prevents your PC from slowing down and improves its performance.
SuperFetch is a service responsible for the performance and improvement of the Windows 10 operating system. It runs in the background and monitors the exchange of information between the hard drive and RAM. The operations performed are recorded in a separate document, on the basis of which a special map of links to files and folders is created.
Thus, when the system starts up, the function takes all these links and loads the cached data from them into RAM. This means that all running processes should start faster because they are already partially loaded into RAM.
Let`s consider its functionality in more detail:
- It starts automatically with the OS and begins to allocate resources optimally. Preference is given to the most “popular” processes, and others go to the “background”. But when you try to turn to the latter, there is another redistribution.
- Optimizes RAM in downtime. We carry out previously postponed tasks so as not to distract us from work or entertainment. That is, as soon as we leave to drink tea with a sandwich (10-15 minutes), the service begins to work more intensively.
- Collects statistics, ranks the most popular applications. Each software is assigned a certain impact factor. The most needed programs get more resources. I’m sure you’ve noticed that if you run the same thing often, productivity increases.
Common problems caused by the service
However, due to this, some users still want to disable the service in order to improve the performance of their computers. But in the end, things are not going as smoothly as we would like. Possible reasons for performance degradation when SuperFetch is disabled in Windows 10:
- Disabling the service can lead to quite the opposite – loading programs from the disk will take a very long time since the system will more often access the hard disk.
- If the number of disks accesses increases, then its load will become even stronger. In this case, disabling will be optimal only for SSD drives, in which the speed is already faster, and caching does not make sense.
- For a large amount of RAM, the release of several hundred megabytes will not be noticeable. But if there is not enough RAM, then the system can start to slow down greatly.
How to disable the service?
There are several options:
- Through the “Services” section. There are several ways to open services. However, the easiest one is to go to the start menu and enter the query “Services”.
- Through the task manager. If you turn off the computer, the data will not be saved and the next time the system is started, the service will work again.
- Command-line. The Command Prompt in Windows 10 can change the startup of services using special commands.